Smoke alarm allows Dover teen to escape fire

News Mar 09, 2015 by J.P. Antonacci Norfolk News

A working smoke alarm is being credited with allowing a Port Dover teenager to escape injury after a fire in his Port Dover house Monday afternoon.

According to Norfolk County Fire Service, the teen called 911 around 5 p.m. after the smoke alarm alerted him to a fire inside the house on St. George Street.

About a dozen firefighters from Port Dover and Simcoe converged on the scene in four trucks and quickly had the fire contained within the room of origin, said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

"The crews responded quickly and did a great job knocking the fire down," Pipe said, adding that the fire, which appears to have been started by an electric heater, caused an estimated $25,000 worth of damage to the house, including minor smoke damage to the other rooms.

No injuries to firefighters or the home's occupants were reported.

Pipe noted that the situation could have been worse had the home not had a working smoke alarm, which gave occupants time to escape and call the fire department, preventing the small fire from spreading into adjoining rooms.

"Another life saved by smoke alarms," he said.

Smoke alarm allows Dover teen to escape fire

Small fire confined to room of St. George Street house

News Mar 09, 2015 by J.P. Antonacci Norfolk News

A working smoke alarm is being credited with allowing a Port Dover teenager to escape injury after a fire in his Port Dover house Monday afternoon.

According to Norfolk County Fire Service, the teen called 911 around 5 p.m. after the smoke alarm alerted him to a fire inside the house on St. George Street.

About a dozen firefighters from Port Dover and Simcoe converged on the scene in four trucks and quickly had the fire contained within the room of origin, said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

"The crews responded quickly and did a great job knocking the fire down," Pipe said, adding that the fire, which appears to have been started by an electric heater, caused an estimated $25,000 worth of damage to the house, including minor smoke damage to the other rooms.

No injuries to firefighters or the home's occupants were reported.

Pipe noted that the situation could have been worse had the home not had a working smoke alarm, which gave occupants time to escape and call the fire department, preventing the small fire from spreading into adjoining rooms.

"Another life saved by smoke alarms," he said.

Smoke alarm allows Dover teen to escape fire

Small fire confined to room of St. George Street house

News Mar 09, 2015 by J.P. Antonacci Norfolk News

A working smoke alarm is being credited with allowing a Port Dover teenager to escape injury after a fire in his Port Dover house Monday afternoon.

According to Norfolk County Fire Service, the teen called 911 around 5 p.m. after the smoke alarm alerted him to a fire inside the house on St. George Street.

About a dozen firefighters from Port Dover and Simcoe converged on the scene in four trucks and quickly had the fire contained within the room of origin, said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

"The crews responded quickly and did a great job knocking the fire down," Pipe said, adding that the fire, which appears to have been started by an electric heater, caused an estimated $25,000 worth of damage to the house, including minor smoke damage to the other rooms.

No injuries to firefighters or the home's occupants were reported.

Pipe noted that the situation could have been worse had the home not had a working smoke alarm, which gave occupants time to escape and call the fire department, preventing the small fire from spreading into adjoining rooms.

"Another life saved by smoke alarms," he said.