Chickens perish in Windham Centre barn fire

News Jun 18, 2017 Norfolk News

Sixteen chickens were killed in a barn fire in Windham Centre on Sunday morning.

Firefighters came to the scene just before noon to find a 1,500-square-foot barn fully engulfed in flames.

"Quick actions and good tactics by our crews saved the nearby home from significant damage. Only a section of the home's siding received heat damage," said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

Pipe said the fire started when "nearby combustible materials" were ignited by a lawn tractor that had been used earlier that morning.

Paramedics treated the homeowner at the scene as a precaution. No firefighters were injured.

Pope said the damage to the barn and its contents has been estimated at $100,000.

Chickens perish in Windham Centre barn fire

News Jun 18, 2017 Norfolk News

Sixteen chickens were killed in a barn fire in Windham Centre on Sunday morning.

Firefighters came to the scene just before noon to find a 1,500-square-foot barn fully engulfed in flames.

"Quick actions and good tactics by our crews saved the nearby home from significant damage. Only a section of the home's siding received heat damage," said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

Pipe said the fire started when "nearby combustible materials" were ignited by a lawn tractor that had been used earlier that morning.

Paramedics treated the homeowner at the scene as a precaution. No firefighters were injured.

Pope said the damage to the barn and its contents has been estimated at $100,000.

Chickens perish in Windham Centre barn fire

News Jun 18, 2017 Norfolk News

Sixteen chickens were killed in a barn fire in Windham Centre on Sunday morning.

Firefighters came to the scene just before noon to find a 1,500-square-foot barn fully engulfed in flames.

"Quick actions and good tactics by our crews saved the nearby home from significant damage. Only a section of the home's siding received heat damage," said fire prevention officer Scott Pipe.

Pipe said the fire started when "nearby combustible materials" were ignited by a lawn tractor that had been used earlier that morning.

Paramedics treated the homeowner at the scene as a precaution. No firefighters were injured.

Pope said the damage to the barn and its contents has been estimated at $100,000.